MAKING POTTERY IN CHILLIWACK, B.C.
Living in the peaceful setting of our 14-acre farm in the Fraser Valley, I work each day in a studio surrounded by inspiring mountain views and gardens, hawks and herons, cattle in green pastures and orchards. My family is always close by, bringing joy into my studio and my heart.
I discovered crystalline glazes several years ago and have grown entranced with pushing the limits to create these extraordinary glazes while also focusing on the importance of simplicity in the forms as a palette. I enjoy creating classic yet simple forms with sensuous curves and flowing lines, which compliment the elegance of the crystals. Crystalline glazing demands a technical mindset, and an interest in the chemistry, complexity and precision of glazing, requirements that suit my personal style.
I also love making functional pots for everyday use, incorporating contemporary styling, curves and bright modern colors. I like that I can spend time on each new design, reflecting on how the piece will work, how it feels to touch and to hold.
Selling exclusively from our Showroom allows me to share my excitement at the wonder of working with clay with visitors and develop relationships with the new owners of my pottery. This interaction is important to me.
The continuing study of form and glaze provides a balance that mirrors my desire for beauty, sincerity and grace in my own life. I want my pots to have a quiet presence and simplicity, and I have a lifetime ahead to pursue this quest.
Holly McKeen, Studio Potter
If you would like to know more about Pottery in B.C., follow this link to the British Columbia Potters Guild website: www.bcpotters.com
HOLLY J. McKEEN
Studio Potter - Owner, Greendale Pottery, Chilliwack, British Columbia
Education / Selected Workshops:
- Banff School of the Arts, Drawing, Painting & Sculpture - 1977
- Various workshops 1970-90 in Painting, Graphic Arts and Cartooning.
- Wheel throwing programs and clay technician duties 2002, 2003
- Metchosin Summer School of the Arts Clay Programs - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007
- Red Deer College Summer Ceramics Program - Altering Porcelain - 2005
- Shadboldt Arts Centre, Burnaby, plus Masters Series Workshops, Parksville 2003, 2005
- Lattice Structures Crystalline Symposium, Kansas City - 2006
- Crystalline seminar with Peter Ilsley, Kris Friedrich & Diane Creber - Palm Springs - 2006
- Aesthetics of Form with Les Manning - 2007
- Studied with Porcelain Masters Tom Turner, N. Carolina, 2010 & Marsha Silverman, Miami, 2011.
- Seminars at National Ceramics Educators Conference in Portland 2008, Philadelphia 2010, Tampa 2011,
- Seattle, 2012 and co-taught Crystalline glaze seminar during Seattle 2012 NCECA
- Krystallos2007, Pennsylvania, USA (invitational)
- Solo Exhibit - "Crystals, Colour & Curves" Gallery of BC Ceramics, Vancouver, 2008
- The Crystalline Spectrum ‚?? Virginia, USA - 2009
- Chilliwack Visual Artists Assoc Member Shows, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Frozen in Fire - Crystalline Waves, Dunnedin, Florida, 2011
- Fibre, Earth & Fire, Chilliwack Cultural Centre Gallery 2011 (curated the Clay Artists for this Exhibit)
- Fraser Valley Potters Guild Annual Juried Shows‚?? 2004, 05, 06, 07, 08, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Crystalline Magic, group show, Artemis Gallery, North Vancouver, 2012
- Cristals 2013, La Brisbal, Spain, April 2013
- People's Choice Award - Clay 2012, Fraser Valley Potters Guild Juried Show, Chilliwack
- Honorable Mention - crystalline glazed porcelain ‚?? Fraser Valley Potters Guild Juried Shows ‚?? 2006 2007,
- 2010, 2011, 2012.
- Finalist - Chilliwack Chamber of Commerce Business Excellence Awards-Best New Small Business - Greendale Pottery - - 2006 & Best Small Business & Best Customer Service, 2008
Publications / periodicals / presentations:
- Selected for American Ceramics Society "Potters Council" 2013 Calendar
- Invited as Guest Presenter & Exhibitor at "Cristalls 2013" - an all Crystalline Exhibit and Symposium in La Brisbal, Spain, April 2013
- Clay Times Magazine (USA) - Five page article entitled "Marketing your Pottery - The Search for WOW"" - 2008
- B.C. Potter's Guild Newsletter and Fraser Valley Potters Guild newsletters various articles 2006, 2007, 2010, 2012
- Presentations at Fraser Valley Potter's Guild 2007 & 2012 (also have taught various specialized classes/workshops)
- Fraser Valley Potters Guild
- British Columbia Potters Guild
- Chilliwack Visual Artists Association
- Chilliwack Cultural Centre - Instructor of "Continuing Clay" Intermediate Wheel Thrown Ceramics
- Member - Chilliwack Cultural Society
- Board Member - Chilliwack Tourism & Regional Circle Farm Tour Board